When Allah says in the Quran “This is the Book (the Qur’an), whereof there is no doubt, a guidance to those who are Al-Muttaqun“ in ayah 2 of Surah Al-Baqarah, we ask our self who are Al-Muttaqun, who are these people for whom Qur’an is a guidance?
Al-Muttaqun are the people who have “Taqwa“. And what is Taqwa?
Well, when we search the Qur’an and Sunnah for the meaning of Taqwa, we find that:-
- Taqwa means to protect and reserve.
- Taqwa means leaving sins big and small.
- Taqwa means to take evasive action on seeing sin.
- Taqwa means protecting yourself from that which harms you.
- Taqwa is to fear the All Mighty; to act upon the Revelation; to be content with little and to prepare for the Day of Travel.
- The complete form of taqwa is to fear Allah so much that one begins to fear Him from (the potential sin in) a mustard seed and until one leaves what might be halal in the fear that it could be haram.
- Taqwa is to obey Allah with the (divine) insight (noor) that He will reward and to refrain from disobedience with the insight and fear that He will punish.
- Taqwa is not fasting by day and standing for prayers at night. Rather it is to refrain from what Allah has prohibited and act upon what He has mandated.
- The essence of taqwa is to make a shield (which guards) against Allah’s anger and punishment. That shield is to obey His commands and abstain from His prohibitions.
Some scholars have summed up Taqwa as. ‘He should not see you where He has prohibited you to be and He should not find you absent where He has ordered you to be.
As we know what Taqwa is, let’s find out in the next port what are the signs of Taqwa. how find if you or some else have have what it takes to be a Muttaqhi – someone with Taqwa.
Following is a short one minute video about Taqwa.