Before we discuss about the “99 Days Challenge”, please go through the following points.
1) Allah says in the Qur’an
“And to Allah belong the best names, so invoke Him by them. And leave [the company of] those who practice deviation concerning His names. They will be recompensed for what they have been doing.” [7:180]
Source: – HERE
2) The Sunnah tells us that the reward for memorising the names of Allah, may He be exalted, is admission to Paradise. Al-Bukhaari (2736) and Muslim (2677) narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Allah has ninety-nine names. Whoever memorizes them will enter Paradise.”
The word translated as memorised in this hadeeth may include the following:
- Memorising them.
- Understanding their meanings
- Acting upon what they imply. So if a person knows that He is One, he will not associate anything else with Him; if he knows that He is the Provider, he will not seek provision from anyone else; if he knows that He is the Most Merciful, he will do acts of obedience that are a means of attaining this mercy… And so on.
- Calling upon Him by these names, as Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning): “And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allah, so call on Him by them” [al-A‘raaf 7:180]. So one may say for example, “O Most Gracious, have mercy on me; O Oft-Forgiving, forgive me; O Accepter of repentance, accept my repentance” and so on. Thus you will realise that it is not prescribed to merely recite these names without understanding them, acting upon them and calling upon Allah by them.
Source: – HERE
3) It was narrated from Buraydah ibn al-Husayb that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) heard a man saying: O Allaah, I ask You by virtue of the fact that I bear witness that You are Allah, there is no god but You, the One, the Eternal Refuge, Who neither begets nor is born, nor is there to Him any equivalent.
The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “He has indeed asked Allah by His greatest name, which if He is asked thereby, He gives and if He is called upon thereby, He answers.”
Narrated by at-Tirmidhi (3475), Abu Dawood (1493), Ibn Maajah (3857); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.
Source: – HERE
4) Allah is Al-Samee’ (the All-Hearing). He hears all voices, in all the different languages, no matter how many and how varied, when they call on Him for their needs.
And he is Al-Baseer (the All-Seeing) Who has insight into all things, no matter how small. He can see a black ant walking across the face of a rock on the darkest night. He can see what is below the seven levels of the earth and what is above the seven heavens. He is the All-Hearing and All-Seeing, Who knows who is deserving of reward or punishment according to His Wisdom.
Source: – HERE
From Point number 1 and 2, we came to know the importance of memorising the beautiful names of Allah and calling Him by them.
From Point number 3, we came to know that Allah has many names, but there is one name which is the “Greatest name” and if you call Him by that name, He answers. But the scholars differ about which one is the “Greatest name”. So, the only way to find that out is to call Allah by every name that we know from the Qur’an and the Sunnah.
From Point number 4, we came to know that Allah is All-Seeing, He sees when you are in distress, when you are weak, when you wander off the straight path. And he is All-Hearing, so He hears when you call Him, He hears yo when you talk to Him.
So, you should call Him everyday in every matter, with His most beautiful names and you should talk to Him about your life, ask Him for help in everything that you do.
So, what's the 99 Days Challenge?
By now, you would have already guessed what’s the 99 Days Challenge.
It is very simple. For the next 99 days, we will choose one name of Allah each day and we will talk to Him, Pray to Him, Ask Help from Him with that name throughout the day. And if we relapse, we will repent to Him with that same name.
This way, you would have memorized the 99 names of Allah by the end of this challenge and you would have developed the habit of speaking to your Lord in times of ease and in times of dis-ease.
Every day, I will upload the image of the name of Allah to be used that day. And I will be using the images from the book – AL ASMAA UL HUSNAA – HOW TO LIVE BY THE NAMES OF ALLAH, Practical knowledge and tips on how to live by the names and attributes of Allah.
Note: – The link is not an affiliate link.
The 99 Days Challenge
Say, O, Allah, help me to avoid this Sin.
O, Allah, you are "the only One God" and I am your slave, help me, help me, give me strength to fight this enemy.
Call Him today with this name, for everything you want help with.
Say, O, the Most Merciful, O, the Entirely Merciful, help me to stay from sins. Help me to feel better. You are the All-Knower, you know my state, no one can help except you. Help me my Lord.
Today, call your lord by this name and ask Him for the strength to fight this enemy.
Say, O, Bestower of Mercy, help me to fight this enemy.
Call Him by this name today and talk to Him and ask for His help.
Say, O, The Absolutely Pure, help me get rid of this impure habit.
Talk to Him with this name today.
Call your lord by this name today and ask for His help.